Home of the famous orator, abolitionist and statesman, this park is a compelling window into the past. This historic site preserves 8.5 acres known as Cedar Hill and includes the main house, gardens, and an extensive collection of personal effects belonging to Douglass and his family. Douglass moved to Cedar Hill in 1877 and lived there for 18 years. During that time, he served as U.S. Minister to Haiti and as U.S. Marshal for the District of Columbia as he continued to write about and speak out for human rights and equality until his death on February 20, 1895.