The National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA) is excited to invite you to join the Northwest Student Leadership Council. The Northwest office of NPCA works in the community with partners, schools and business organizations in support of the 20 National Park units across Washington and Oregon. We have met many excited, talented student leaders who we would like to engage in fulfilling our mission to protect our national treasures for present and future generations.
The student leadership councils are an extension of NPCA’s Northwest Regional Council, and work with NPCA staff and Regional Council members to educate the community, business organizations and elected officials on the opportunities and challenges facing our National Parks.
The student leadership councils are an extension of NPCA’s Northwest Regional Council, and work with NPCA staff and Regional Council members to educate the community, business organizations and elected officials on the opportunities and challenges facing our National Parks. We believe that engaging young adults at key stages in their personal, educational, and professional development will create future leaders and advocates for the National Parks and NPCA – as well as develop a variety of skill sets that will serve them in their future endeavors.
The Student Leadership Council is a step towards growth in professionalism as participants develop skill sets to eloquently connect with community leaders and elected officials, become more knowledgeable about advocacy, the political process, and the national parks, and grow confidence to share his or her voice. The more a member participates and works to be engaged, the more he or she will get out of their experience.
The Northwest Student Leadership Council (SLC) consists of, post-highschool up to age 30 (as of September 1st). The annual program runs from September through June, with occasional/optional projects and meetings during the summer months.
Participants will receive emails every other month with updates on the calendar, new park information, work within our state, relevant job opportunities, and additional ways to participate. Students will be invited to our Discord server. All student leaders will receive the Field Report, and those who decide to buy a $25 membership will also be mailed the magazine.
Role and Responsibilities of a Student Leader
- Be an extension of the Northwest NPCA Office and spread the message of NPCA’s mission to preserve and protect the national parks for current and future generations with your network of friends and family
- Connect NPCA’s Northwest Regional Office (NWRO) with your network to spread and increase the awareness of NPCA to your inner and outer circle and connect NPCA NWRO with new audiences
- Advocate and lobby when available for the national parks with direct messaging to your Representative and Senators as well as to your community through social media outlets
- Help provide ideas on how NPCA can engage more students and young people with the national parks and advocacy efforts to protect them
- Sign-on to NPCA’s Statement of Intention, and embrace our Core Values, Commitment, Inclusion, Integrity and Respect.
Northwest Student Leadership Council Apply Online
Northwest Student Leadership Council Join our Discord Server
For More Information
Graham TaylorProgram Manager, Northwest Region
- NPCA Region: