Next Generation Advisory Council Call for ParticipantsCall for Participants (248 KB)
Looking for an opportunity to make a difference and bring a unique perspective to efforts to protect our public lands? Want to become more engaged in civic processes and environmental issues in your community? Love our national parks? The Next Generation Advisory Council of the National Parks Conservation Association may be the place for you. We are now accepting applications to the council for the 2023-2025 cohort.
The National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA) believes that engaging the next generation is critical to ensuring the protection of our national parks, which is why we launched the Next Generation Advisory Council. The council brings together individuals, ages 18-34, to explore effective methods of engaging younger audiences in national park advocacy and protection. The council members offer fresh, diverse perspectives in the larger national park conversation and help ensure that national parks remain relevant and protected for current and future generations.
What We’re Looking For
If you’re an individual between the ages of 18 and 34 who is motivated by national parks, conservation, advocacy or reflecting the voice of your generation, we encourage you to apply to be part of our Next Generation Advisory Council. Together, the members of the council: 1) advise the organization as it relates to NPCA’s strategic plan and engagement efforts, 2) work with NPCA staff to develop content for engaging new audiences, and 3) explore opportunities to engage a broader audience in national park advocacy with an emphasis on inclusion and equity. In addition to these key focal areas, the 2020-2022 cohort of the council will have the opportunity to help shape more specific priorities. We are especially looking for candidates with experience and interest in developing partnerships with diverse organizations and communities, creating compelling and innovative content, and mobilizing a base of committed advocates, though all qualified candidates will be considered.
What You’ll Get Out of Participating
As a member of the council, you will be part of a membership organization that has been successfully advocating for national parks since 1919. You will have the chance to interact with and learn from NPCA’s talented staff, as well as members of our Board of Trustees, National Council and Regional Councils. You will be able to visit several national parks, build relationships with other national park advocates and challenge your current perspectives surrounding public lands. Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to help our national parks by building their base of support for the future.
To fulfill the mission of the council and ensure robust participation, all prospective council members must be:
- Age 18 to 34;
- Able to serve on the council for at least a two-year term.
- Able to attend* two (2) national meetings per year in-person (fall and spring)
- Able to participate in one-hour monthly calls of the full council.
- Read/Listen to materials for Park Trips. (primarily on audiobooks for an average of 10hours)
- Interested in participating* in up to two (2) NPCA Regional Council meetings per year, based on your geographic location (optional);
- available to attend* the in-person meeting of the Next Generation Advisory Council in early October 2023(location TBD).
- Available to attend the in-person annual meeting week in DC usually in early April
*Travel expenses to national and regional meetings will be covered by NPCA.
Other Things to Keep in Mind
- This is not a paid position, though NPCA will cover expenses related to participating.
- The two in-person meetings will be 3-4 days in length and will likely require you to miss work or school. Exact dates are coordinated with council members and advanced notice is provided once dates are determined.
- NPCA is an advocacy organization, and you will be asked to visit Capitol Hill with us to advocate for national parks.
How to Apply
All prospective council members must fill out the online application. As part of the online application, prospective council members will be asked to submit a resume.
The deadline to apply is January 15, 2023
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Navar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Generation Advisory Council Apply Online
All prospective council members will be notified of their acceptance status by March 31, 2023. Prior to that point, you may be contacted by a member of the NPCA staff regarding your application. Accepted applicants should be prepared to travel to a TBD national park the first or second week of October 2023.
For More Information
Laura NavarOutreach & Engagement Manager