In 1733, British General James Edward Oglethorpe established the colony of Georgia in the region between the British-ruled colony of South Carolina and the Spanish-ruled colony of Florida. Oglethorpe built Fort Frederica just three years later to protect this new colony from Spanish attack.
The brick fortress enclosed an entire 40-acre town on a strategic location in a bend in the Frederica River. After several battles, a regiment of British soldiers were able to successfully fight off a Spanish attack at the fort in 1741. But after Britain and Spain signed a peace treaty in 1748, many settlers left the fort, and the a fire in 1758 destroyed most of what remained. The national monument preserves archaeological remnants and foundations from the fort and the town.
(Photo by Judson McCranie, CC BY-SA 3.0.)
More about Fort Frederica
Regional Events Georgia Offshore Drilling Public Meeting For the first time in decades, our coasts could be opened up to oil and gas leasing if the Department of Interior's draft leasing plan for federal waters goes into effect.
Report A Legacy Threatened NPCA's photo book shows the damage to parks caused by the 2017 hurricanes.