Arlington House, located on a high hill within Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia, is one of many national park sites along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Built by George Washington Parke Custis between 1802 and 1818 to serve as a memorial to his step-grandfather, George Washington, the house is now associated more with the man who married into the family and lived there for 30 years — Civil War General Robert E. Lee.
Linking the North and the South
Congress dedicated the Arlington House in 1925 to honor Robert E. Lee and his outspoken efforts to reunite the country after the Civil War. The Arlington Memorial Bridge, built in 1932, connects the Arlington House with the Lincoln Memorial and serves as symbolic link between the North and the South.