Appomattox Court House National Historic Park is the site “where our nation reunited.” On April 9, 1865, the tiny village served as the meeting place for two great generals of the Civil War, Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee, to work out the conditions of the surrender of Confederate forces. The park preserves some original and some reconstructed buildings, as well as the character of the original town.
More about Appomattox Court House
Read more about Protecting and Connecting Our Nation's Treasured Park Landscapes
Fact Sheet Protecting and Connecting Our Nation's Treasured Park Landscapes National parks are key to protecting and connecting our most revered places.
Read more about Center for State of the Parks: Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
Report Center for State of the Parks: Appomattox Court House National Historical Park According to an assessment by NPCA's Center for State of the Parks, current overall conditions of Appomattox Court House's known cultural resources rated a "fair" score of 68 out of 100.