|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE|
|Date:||April 10, 2012|
|Contact:||Alison Zemanski, NPCA (202)384-8762 firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Tomassen, General Mills (763) 293-2761 email@example.com
Jessica Anselmi, Cone (617) 939-8318 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nature Valley® Celebrates the Third Year of Its Preserve the Parks Program
Encourages Americans to Visit National Parks and Support Park Preservation
MINNEAPOLIS (April 10, 2011) – Commonly referred to as “America’s best idea,” the national parks are awe-inspiring places that provide a deep connection to our country’s heritage, and to nature. But threats to the parks and to their funding are impacting park wildlife, water and air quality, and require our attention and support. Leading granola bar brand, Nature Valley® is a longtime supporter of national park preservation through its "Preserve the Parks" program – now in its third year – which benefits the National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA). Over the course of the three-year relationship, the Preserve the Parks program will have helped raise more than $1 million to benefit restoration projects in support of America’s national parks.
This year, Nature Valley is continuing to help preserve America’s national parks while encouraging education, outdoor exploration and support. To get the 2012 Preserve the Parks program started, Nature Valley is making a $300,000 donation to the NPCA and is inviting consumers to help raise an additional $200,000 by entering the Universal Product Codes (UPC) from specially-marked packages of Nature Valley products at PreserveTheParks.com. This year, in celebration of National Park Week (April 21-29), consumers are invited to visit the Nature Valley Facebook page and “Like” designated posts during that week to help trigger additional donations to the NPCA – $1 per “Like,” up to $50,000.
“America’s parks continue to face environmental and economic threats, and we are thankful for the continued support from Nature Valley,” said Tom Kiernan, president of the National Parks Conservation Association. “As we approach the 2016 centennial of the National Park Service, we have a responsibility to ensure these treasures are preserved and protected for future generations.”
How to Support America’s National Parks
Most importantly, consumers can join Nature Valley in helping to preserve America’s national parks by getting outside and exploring all that the parks have to offer, especially during National Park Week (April 21-29), when admission to national parks is free. Additionally, if consumers aren’t able to physically visit a national park, they can experience three iconic national parks through a new digital platform launched by Nature Valley in March 2012. Nature Valley Trail View encourages outdoor exploration and education with 300-plus miles of immersive national parks content through panoramic views and interactive guides, and is a great way to share favorite park views and sights to digitally inspire others to get outside.
To show support for the parks, consumers can:
• Visit PreserveTheParks.com and entering UPCs from specially-marked packages of Nature Valley® products to help raise funds to benefit restoration efforts in support of six national parks. For each UPC entered online now through December 31, 2012, $1 will be donated to the NPCA, up to $200,000.
• Volunteer at a national park – visit PreserveTheParks.com for more information.
• Visit the Nature Valley Facebook page and “Like” designated posts about Nature Valley Trail View. For each Facebook “Like” during National Parks Week (April 21-29), Nature Valley will donate $1 to the NPCA, up to $50,000.
• Consider a personal donation to NPCA at PreserveTheParks.com.
Preserve the Parks Program Details
In its third year, the Preserve the Parks program continues to benefit the NPCA, whose mission is to help preserve America’s national parks for generations to come. Funds raised by Nature Valley this spring and throughout the year will support restoration projects benefiting six national parks, including:
• Acadia National Park: Constructing a connector trail to provide better access to Acadia National Park.
• Everglades National Park: Improving public access to, and providing greater awareness about the Everglades and Everglades National Park.
• Grand Teton National Park: Protecting wildlife migration corridors near Grand Teton National Park.
• Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Restoring land and wildlife habitats to benefit Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
• Joshua Tree National Park: Ensuring healthy ecosystems to benefit the wildlife of Joshua Tree National Park.
• Yellowstone National Park: Restoring pronghorn migration routes around Yellowstone National Park.
“The Preserve the Parks program continues to be a priority initiative for the Nature Valley brand, and we hope to continue to get consumers involved in preserving these iconic and patriotic places,” said Scott Baldwin, associate director of marketing for Nature Valley. “Through continued consumer passion and support, we can help ensure that America’s national parks exist for future nature lovers to experience and enjoy.”
About National Parks Conservation Association
Since 1919, NPCA has been the leading voice of the American people in protecting and enhancing our National Park System. NPCA, its more than 600,000 members and supporters, and many partners work together to protect the park system and preserve our nation’s natural, historical, and cultural heritage for generations to come. For more information, please visit: www.npca.org.
About Nature Valley®
Nature Valley created the granola bar category in 1975 and brings great taste to active consumers looking for wholesome snacks. Nature Valley offers eight great-tasting granola snacks: Crunch Granola Bars, Sweet & Salty Nut Granola Bars, Chewy Trail Mix Bars, Granola Thins, Yogurt Granola Bars, Roasted Nut Crunch Bars, Granola Nut Clusters and Protein Bars. In addition to supporting the National Parks Conservation Association, Nature Valley is the Official Natural Granola Bar of the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Nationwide Tour, the United States Ski and Snowboarding Association, Nature Valley NASTAR, Cross Country Ski Areas Association, Vail Resorts, Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday. In addition, Nature Valley is the title sponsor of the Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach and the Nature Valley Grand Prix.
# # #